115/366

April 24, 2012
115/366
The key to everything is patience. You get the chicken by hatching the egg, not by smashing it.
~Arnold H. Glasow


This is Friendly Chicken.

I am the co-leader of Sophia's Daisy (girl scout) troop, and for our meeting today we got to meet a real, live chicken. And she was indeed friendly, if by being friendly it is meant that she wasn't mean and she didn't bite.

The girls had fun seeing her and learning a little more about chickens. 


So did I.

When I was Sophia's age, in Kindergarten, we had an incubator full of eggs.  Every day, my teacher cracked one into a bowl and showed it around the class so we could see the development of the chick.  I was TRAUMATIZED and HORRIFIED by this, even at five years old.  It made me cry to think she was killing the baby chickies just so we could see what they looked like.  I was very relieved when they finally started to hatch and no more chicken killings happened.

And I tell you that, why?  I don't know.  It's just what having Friendly Chicken come to Daisies reminded me of.  

No comments:

Post a Comment